When road trippin’ from San Francisco to Los Angeles looking for a Wellness Experience…
Arrive at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and drive to Santa Cruz County (75 mi/120 km; 1 hour 25 minutes).
Santa Cruz County
• Move over, hot stone massage; there’s a new treatment in town, and it can only be found at the Spa at Chaminade, built high on a scenic mountain ridge. The Hot Shell Massage uses all‐natural Tiger Clam seashells and other elements from the ocean along with a mixture of purified water, salt and lavender essential oils. The heat from the shells penetrates muscles, helping achieve a deep state of relaxation. The shells are also used in various deep‐tissue and effleurage massage strokes to soothe tired muscles. This new trend in spa treatment is found exclusively at the Spa at Chaminade, which offers a menu that reflects the Santa Cruz County landscape: vineyard, farm, mountain and ocean‐themed treatments. A signature scent has also been custom‐designed for the Chaminade Resort, bringing guests the scents of aloe and the sea. Guests of the spa have access to Chaminade’s hiking trails, pool, tennis courts and gym during their visit. www.santacruzca.org
Overnight in Santa Cruz County.
Drive to Monterey County (42 mi/68 km; 47 minutes). Recommended drive: Hwy 1 South.
• Rooftop hot tubs overlooking Monterey Bay and serene tropical gardens are some of the picturesque environments that calm the soul naturally in Monterey County spas. They pride themselves on pleasing even the most discerning of customers in this world‐class spa destination. The highly skilled and educated practitioners hold certifications from locally acclaimed programs, such as Big Sur’s Esalen Institute, which boasts natural hot springs and baths perched on the cliffsover the Pacific Ocean. Treatments are available in Shiatsu and Reiki as well as cranial‐sacral therapy, aromatherapy, and Swedish, sport and La Stone massage. Several types of facials, body treatments and beauty services like Vichy showers and hydrotherapy in specialized tubs are also offered. Truly a heaven on earth experience. www.esalen.org
Overnight in Monterey County.
Morning: drive to San Luis Obispo County (145 mi/233 km; 2 hours 20 minutes). Recommended drive: 68 East & 101 South.
San Luis Obispo County
• Relax in California’s natural escape by soaking in one of San Luis Obispo County’s hot mineral springs. This type of rejuvenation began as a healing practice with ancient Egyptians and Romanroots and continues to serve our contemporary worldwide culture. The water found in the natural mineral springs are rich in sulfur compounds and trace minerals, which assist healing in a variety of ways. San Luis Obispo County offers visitors two distinct regions in which to experience the natural hot springs. In the northern portion of the county, the Paso Robles Inn offers guests a relaxing stay in their choice of Spa Rooms, complete with a private hot springs mineral spa tub. And since the inn is conveniently located in Paso Robles Wine County, your relaxing experience will be complete with a glass of local wine. In the southern portion of the county, Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort offersguests the full wellness experience. Complete with mineral springs, yoga classes, and a meditation garden, this resort is a true escape. www.sanluisobispocounty.com
Overnight in San Luis Obispo County.
Continue to Pismo Beach (13 mi/21 km; 15 minutes). Recommended drive: 101 South.
• Pismo Beach’s newest hotel, the Dolphin Bay Resort & Spa, is an elegant all‐villa resort. The La Bonne Vie Spa is a member of the Preferred Boutique Hotels. The Sea Venture Resort and Spa is one of the premier California beachfront hotels, offering luxury accommodations and a full range of body treatments, such as deep‐tissue massage, aromatherapy, Swedish massage, sea salt body scrub, seaweed wrap, essential oils face wrap, and more. www.classiccalifornia.com
Drive to Santa Barbara (94 mi/151 km; 1 hour 30 minutes).
• Santa Barbara is famous for its active, outdoor lifestyle and its vast array of recreational opportunities. But exercise is only part of the equation. The body needs pampering after exertion. And for that, Santa Barbara is a dream‐come‐true. Rich in health and wellness options, from yoga classes to fitness clubs, the county is a genuine paradise of day spas. Treatments range from every style of massage to wraps, chocolate scrubs, acupressure in water, and beyond. Santa Barbara offers both day and overnight spas in all price ranges. If you are interested in a tasteful hotel spa, make your reservations at: Harbor View Inn, Fess Parker’s DoubleTree Resort, Bacara Resort and Spa, orFour Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara. www.santabarbaraca.com
Overnight in Santa Barbara.
Drive to Los Angeles (95 mi/150 km; 1 hour 40 minutes). Recommended drive: 101 South & 405 South.
Depart from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).